Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Interpreter

I had to see this movie because it was the only sane one to choose considering the plethora of horror flicks out. Seems Hollywood thinks America likes to be scared right now.

Anyway, this movie was better than I expected. But let me say that I didn't expect that much since the critics liked the film and it stars Nicloe Kidman. She's the same in every role, distant, cold and very Nicole Kidman.

Kidman plays a woman who is an interpreter for the UN. She was born in South Africa so she knows a language most people didn't know and happens to overhear an assassination plot one night when she's picking up a bag she left in an interpreting room. The movie tries to make you wonder if Kidman is making it all up— is she the assassin or someone else? The more Penn's character finds out, the more suspect she becomes. Penn has to deal with his own pains outside of his detective work but finds an awkward comfort in trying to save Kidman as the story unravels. There are bombs going off and plenty of action scenes and suspense but in the end not much of a surprise unless, of course, you weren't paying attention. Penn does well as usual, though perhaps he should be in a horror flick- just for something different.

Perhaps I'm tired of watching Nicole Kidman be cold. Or I'm tired of hearing about assassinations and watching bombs and wondering why people are so screwed up. Is this really interesting storytelling- seems like the same old formula to me. Maybe movie trailers reveal too much. Maybe I just had PMS. My thoughts are this-if you have nothing better to do, see it. If you have basketweaving to do, that'd be more fun. Okay that's harsh- must be the Nicole Kidman in me talking. It is more entertaining than basketweaving but a lot less useful.

Worth the money rating: $$$

No comments:

Post a Comment