Monday, December 31, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War

Apparently there's the real life story of Charlie Wilson on the History channel. I haven't been able to watch it. The Hollywood version was good, though.

Tom Hanks plays Charlie Wilson, a man from Texas who charms the pants off of people. In the movie, he doesn't really do any charming. In fact, it seems way too easy for him to get money to help the Afghanastans, but what do I know. Maybe that was the point.

Julia Roberts is way too skinny. Her face looks weird and she looks awful as a blond. And I would have preferred someone more Charliez Theronish, but who looked older. Anyway, you don't know if she's married in the movie and why it's okay to have an affair if she is is beyond me, but she is the one who convinces Wilson that he must get involved in the fight.

Not sure if Tom Hanks was the right person for the role either but I can't think of who I'd rather play Charlie Wilson. Guess after I watch the real history, I could decide better.

I don't believe this movie should be nominated for 5 Golden Globes, but compared to what else is out there, maybe.

It's a fun movie anyway, though I didn't particuarly like either main character, real history or not.

Worth the money: $$$

No comments:

Post a Comment