Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Stepford Wives

This movie was better than I expected it was going to be. Only because I saw the original and even a made for TV version with Barbara Eden from "I dream of Jeanie".

Anyway, the town of Stepford is strange, tucked away in Connecticut with beautiful, immaculate houses and equally exquisite wives. Wives who aren't career women but excellent bakers, homemakers and great in bed. A new couple, Kidman and Broderick, move to Stepford after Kidman, a TV executive, has a nervous breakdown. She meets Bette Midler and a gay man (don't know the actor) who are not yet transformed into the culture of Stepford yet. During the course of the movie, Kidman is the last one to be transformed.

The movie didn't have a ton of surprises (just one, or was it two?) but it's humor was first rate. And though Kidman was overly dramatic with her eyes and I hated her short brown hair, I still had to watch it. In fact, I'd see it again on video.

Also check out the original version in black and white. It's been forever since I've seen it, but the comparison could make a fun night.

Worth the money rating: $$$$

1 comment:

  1. where can I find the original version of the stepford wives in black and white?

    ReplyDelete