Friday, September 23, 2005

Red Eye

Wes Craven's Red Eye was not so great. I wanted to like this movie because I loved his Scream movies but here's wasn't a ton of gore in this movie or enough suspense to make it very engaging or scary. I thought Rachel McAdams wasn't bad but there wasn't enough of the storyline for her to work with to make it interesting. I didn't expect it to be Nightmare on Elmstreet but it was too cutsie for me.

McAdams plays a woman who works at a five star hotel in Miami who goes to Dallas for her grandmother's funeral. There she runs into a nice guy (the psych doctor in Batman Begins) in the line waiting for a delayed red eye flight. They chat for awhile and end up sitting next to each other on the plane. Nicities turn into an assassination plot with her father as collateral. McAdams has to choose between her father's life or someone else's. On the plane she tries more than once to get away but is stopped by her tormentor and counts the minutes before the flight lands.

The ending is somewhat reminscent of Scream where Sydney says, "Not in my movie." But not as good. No surprises or intricate plot twists. Way too predictable.

I don't feel as though any of the characters were developed enough for me to care. The man who plays McAdams' father is flat. Previously he was King Agamemnon in TROY. I can only imagine that this actor didn't have enough lines or scenes for us to really care about him.

Anyway, you can wait for this one on rental. And if you fall asleep before you finish, you don't have to worry about missing anything.

Worth the money rating: $$ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment