Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Life As We Know It

Katherine Heigl will soon be the next Doris Day. Her string of romantic comedies is a-plenty. Not all of them great (the Ugly Truth was pretty ugly), but usually easy viewing. I probably would have waited to see this movie on NetFlix, but I was curious to see whether or not she and Josh Duhamel had chemistry on screen. I didn't think she and Ashton did in "Killers". But it wasn't bad here. Or maybe, I was just in the mood for a feel-good story... I have to say I miss the depth Katherine had as Izzy Stevens and hope she chooses a part aside from this Doris Day thing every once in awhile and surprise us. No offense Doris.

Basically Holly (Heigl) and Messer (Duhamel) are like oil and water, but are best friends of a seemingly perfect married couple who have a baby girl, Sophie. Their lives are interrupted when the perfect couple dies and leave Sophie with both Holly and Messer. Since neither have kids, they discover together how to be parents together, which changes their lives. As I imagine having that kind of responsibility would.

Even though it was predictable, I found it to be charming by the end. Partly because of the supporting cast - Josh Lucas (Sweet Home Alabama) as the sweet doctor and Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" as the wife in the perfect couple. Duhamel did alright too, playing felt playing what I imagine his real-life self to be if he weren't famous- am I wrong?.... Anyway, it's also nice to have some wholesomeish shows to choose from among all these action/special effects movies. So see this on the matinee.

Worth the money: $$ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment