Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Secretariat

I loved "Seabiscuit" from 2003. And I loved this movie almost as much. First, Diane Lane is always fun to watch. She plays a housewife, Penny, whose father is ill. While visiting him in Virginia, she see's that his horse farm is in trouble and in order to save it, Penny decides to take a chance on a new born colt she calls "RED" and a veteran trainer Lucien (Malkovich).

Despite the odds (her lack of knowledge on horse training, objections from her husband and her brother), Penny's strong determination and the love for "Secretariat" make her a winner. "Secretariat" becomes the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years.

Seeing the movie makes me want to read the novel “Secretariat: The Making of a Champion” by William Nack. It's on my holiday list. The racing scenes were spectacular and a true story is always inspiring - even if it was dramatized by Hollywood. That being said, I wish the movie had been a little bit longer. I wanted to know more about Lucine, Penny and Penny's family. I guess, they concentrated on the racing. Of course, I'd have to read the book to actually see how good a job they did staying true to the story.

All in all, I recommend seeing this film...If you're feeling down. Hate your job. Hate your boyfriend/girlfriend. Or even hate traffic. You'll forget all about it after seeing this film. You'll feel as though you can take on anything. And if you're not feeling down, this movie will keep you inspired.

Worth the money: $$$ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment