Friday, September 17, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Sorry Liz, but I couldn't get through your whole book. Got stuck in the pray part and had to quit. I know it's a #1 New York Times bestseller, but I it's propping up my iMac.

Anyway, I didn't love the movie either. It was good to see how everything tied together. I assumed it would have an uplifting spiritual ending - as though after you struggle there's always an up side. Maybe so, maybe not. Regardless, with Julia being in her 40s and this story was about someone in their 30s, I guess the studio thought that would made the story more relatable? Because who goes through soul searching in their 30s? Actually a lot of people, because people are working earlier, divorcing earlier and having a mid life crisis earlier - but that's another blog.

What I did read of the book, the movie didn't take too much creative license, and Italy was the best part of the movie. But I felt bored throughout the show. I guess, because I wasn't pulling for the character to get her life together. I didn't feel as though I knew her. Liz Gilbert has a way of writing that's witty and the movie didn't capture that for me. I did like, however, the charming Indian girl at the ashram and the scene with the elephant. I rode one once and they're very cool creatures.

I wouldn't go to this move to escape anything you're down about unless you can have a strong coffee with it. But I do like stories that make you think - Do you want to settle for unhappiness or not?

Worth the money rating: $$ 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment