Friday, September 17, 2010

The Last Airbender

M. Night Shyamalan ruined this movie for me. The NickToons series was phenomenal and he made it into a high budget, no story fiasco.

I'm not being dramatic. For fans of the series, this movie had nothing but special effects. What was so great about "Avatar: The Last Airbender" series was that it had heart. I realize that a few hours to tell a story vs half an hour over a few years makes a difference. If I were the makers of this movie, I would have made it into four parts for each nation and then a finale. That way you could actually care about the characters.

I missed Sokka's funny lines and Aang's easy-going nature and struggles to learn on his own how to be THE AVATAR with the support of his friends. I was also disappointed in the lack of depth Zuko of the Fire Nation had. Even the kids in the theater seemed disappointed.

That being said - the special effects for the Water Nation part of the movie were amazing! I hope the next movie is 1000 times better. Maybe if Shyamalan doesn't direct it, it'd have a chance.

Worth the money rating: $$

No comments:

Post a Comment